What is a Medical Home?
A Medical Home isn't a building or place; it is the way coordinated healthcare is provided. A Medical Home is:
- Accessible: You can receive care when you need it.
- Patient-Centered: You and your family are important parts of your healthcare team.
- Continuous: You regularly see the same providers.
- Coordinated: Your team coordinates all your care, including sharing information and records with outside specialist care, should you need it.
- Compassionate: Your well-being is the highest priority.
- Culturally Competent: Your culture and religious beliefs are respected.
Patient-Centered Medical Home (PCMH) is a primary care model that offers services that are relationship-based with an orientation towards the whole person. The PCMH is accountable for meeting the large majority of each patient’s physical and mental healthcare needs, including prevention and wellness, acute care, and chronic care.
Medical Home Benefits
- Improve communication between you, your family and your healthcare providers
- Help you understand and manage your health
- Advocate for you, when necessary
- Manage off-site referrals
- Remind you of upcoming appointments/ tests
- Help you reach your health goals
Medical Home Team
- Your Family
- Your Primary Care Provider [medical, dental, chiropractic, behavioral health, and pharmacy]
- Your case manager
- Nurses, wellness coordinators, specialized care providers, caregivers, and others who help you manage your health
The Scenic Bluffs system coordinates care across the broader healthcare system, including specialty care, hospitals, home health care, and community services and supports. We are committed to quality, and quality improvement; delivering evidence-based care, measuring performance, tracking and responding to patient experiences, and practicing population health management.
Scenic Bluffs was awarded a level two recognition as a PCMH. This official acknowledgment identifies the more than 70 staff member at Scenic Bluffs as a healthcare team. Being a multi-practice Health Center (medical, dental, behavioral health, chiropractic and pharmacy) is a major factor contributing to this achievement. Physical proximity and a mentality of working across the hallway enables Scenic Bluffs' employees to offer patients an integrative medicine program, timely services and relevant health education.
This recognition of PCMH comes from the National Committee for Quality Assurance. As healthcare topics dominate the news, PCMH recognition underscores the need to focus on effective primary care delivery systems. The focus is not the building or the staff but rather the way healthcare is provided.